It's that time again . . . I've been out of the Iron Cupcake loop for a while, but hopped back for pop! Originally I had planned on using pineapple soda for a pina COLAda cupcake, but couldn't find pineapple soda!! So, plan B became Strawberry Crush soda cupcakes. I'm very happy with the result, and got rave reviews from both Chris and my coworkers. If you want to make them yourself, here's the recipe:
For the cake (adapted from Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla Cupcakes):
1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons baking salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
4 large eggs
1 cup Strawberry Crush soda
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix on low speed until combined. Add butter, mixing until just coated with flour.
2. In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs, strawberry soda, and vanilla. With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat.
3. Divide batter evenly among liners filling about 2/3 full. Baking, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 17-20 minutes.
For the frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3-4 cups powdered sugar (depending on the consistency you desire)
1 T heavy cream
1/8 cup Strawberry Crush soda
1/4 cup chopped fresh strawberry
1/4 cup crushed pineapple with juice (I used fresh pineapple)
1. Beat butter and shortening in a mixer until fluffy and combined.
2. Add cream and continue beating.
3. Add powdered sugar, alternating with strawberry soda for moisture.
4. Stir or mix in fresh strawberries and crushed pineapple.
On a side note: As I write this blog post I'm listening to New Kids on the Block on seeqpod and loving every minute of it! Is that something I shouldn't be telling you all? Or, are NKOTB cool again? Or, do I really even care what you think about me listening to NKOTB? No.